A pair of Empire wall-lights by Claude Galle. Exceptional and rare pair of Empire ormolu three-branch wall-lights, à flèches, after a model by Claude Galle. Each with an arrow-shaped bole surmounted with a palm and a mask of Diana into a medallion, issuing three hunting-horn shaped branches headed by a lion nose.
Born in 1759, Claude Galle received Bronzer Master in 1784. He moved to 9 Vivienne Street. He collaborates with Antoine-André Ravio and with Jean Hauré, through whom he carries out work for certain pieces of cabinet-making by Benneman for the Crown. Under the Consulate and Empire, he became one of the main suppliers of furniture bronzes for the furniture repository, supplying many pieces for the imperial castles, including Compiegne, Fontainebleau, the Grand Trianon, as well as for the foreign palaces of the Quirinale in Rome and Stupinigi in Turin. Claude Galle, who died in 1815, had a son Gérard-Jean Galle (1788 - 1846) who takes other his activity.
Really good condition
Vergoldete Bronzen by Hans Ottomeyer and Peter Pröschel. Tome II, pages 706 et 722. Pendules et bronzes d'ameublement entrés sous le Premier Empire à Fontainebleau by J.P. Samoyault. Réunion des Musées Nationaux editions, Paris, 1989, page 141.
Our pair of wall-lights belongs to a serie realised by Claude Galle, some of which were delivered to Fontainebleau and the Grand Trianon: two pairs were delivered the 21st September 1806 to the reception room of the French Secretary of State Department in Fontainebleau. Two other pairs were delivered the 23rd December 1809 to the dining room of the Grand Trianon in Versailles.