Arabian camel pack saddle of the Egyptian Campaign (1798-1801) conducted by Bonaparte under the french Directory period. This dromedary military tack consists of two curved arms and three hoops in varnished palm wood. It is decorated with reinforcements and iron and brass plates finely engraved.
By order dated from the general headquarters in Cairo on 20 Nivôse An VII (January 7, 1791), Bonaparte, general in chief of the Eastern Army, gives mission to the squadron leader Cavalier, to the commissioner Colbert and the captain Farnières to create a dromedary regiment which will be dissolved on 18 Fructidor An IX (September 5, 1801). These dromedaries saddles were manufactured in the district of Bulaq, in Cairo, by local artisans. They equipped 350 dromedaries to substitute them for the horses which could not adapt to the desert.
Really good condition
Copies of these saddles are preserved in the Museum of the castles of Malmaison and Bois-Préau, in the Napoleonic collections of the Prince's Palace of Monaco, in the Empéri Museum and the Army Museum in Paris under the number of inventory: A 12755.